Quantcast

2 stroke Fuel Filter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

2 stroke Fuel Filter

Tuckerdrew
I have a 91 CR250.  Is it bad to run my bike with a fuel filter, being a 2 stroke?  Wondering if it will block out any oil that is mixed with the gas.  The bike shop I went into about filtering my fuel, said any in line filter will work and will not restrict flow, or block oil.  But I do still have concerns and would like more opinions on this.  TIA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2 stroke Fuel Filter

james crawford
I've always run an inline fuel filter on my "78 CR250. It has a metal tank, so I don't want to take any chances. The fuel filter is clear, so I can see if it needs changing. If it were to strain out the oil, the filter would change color - the color of my oil. Never had a problem with "visu filters".
  http://www.powersportsrider.com/CGI-BIN/ZCATJPG?catpub=ST0205C
  Go to - Index - Fuel - Filters - 701C
  Jim - New York
   
 

Tuckerdrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
         
I have a 91 CR250. Is it bad to run my bike with a fuel filter, being a 2
stroke? Wondering if it will block out any oil that is mixed with the gas.
The bike shop I went into about filtering my fuel, said any in line filter
will work and will not restrict flow, or block oil. But I do still have
concerns and would like more opinions on this. TIA
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/2-stroke-Fuel-Filter-tf2336272.html#a6500249
Sent from the Honda CR250 mailing list archive at Nabble.com.



         


Jim - New York

 
---------------------------------
 All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2 stroke Fuel Filter

tarresque
The only reason I even raise the question is because people rarely
understand how one small change affects the entire system.  People
often want to view a motorcycle as a number of separate systems
electrical, exhaust, power, fuel, and not as everything working in
symphony.  Like a body ie cardio, respitory, digestive, one system
has drastic effects on another.  FFor example when you were younger
everyone saw the guy who drilled holes in his exhaust not knowing
that the baffles create a sonic wave that scavanges exhaust and
draws in new fuel, and by sound alone he thinks he did something
great when in reality he has done immense harm.  At the track MAYBYE
1 in ten dirtbikes will actually idle on its own why... because the
adjustment screws on the carb ONLY affect the idle circuit so the
guy messes them up and gives the excuse that he has better top end
when he hasnt affected the top end at all.  People always spend cash
on exhaust and dont tune thier suspension llosing power cuz they
didnt rejet for the pipe and lose power because they arent getting
it to the ground.  The fact is that guys in the 125 and 250 mx
classes have been DETUNING the bikes for over a decade by running
thicker head gaskets.  Why???? Increased reliability, and because
the factory is putting out AMAZING machines now and the extra power
is actually a hinderance.  Im not going to say I dont have an FMF
setup because I do... but I also understand how it affects the
SYSTEM, and I changed things accordingly.  All I know is that I
think a LONG time before changing the things the EXPERTS did. So
next time you wrap a shop towel around the carb throat for an air
filter, if you care about your machine look on the garage wall for
those PHDs in engineering that piston honda and the rest of geeks in
the dungeons of honda hq undoubtedly have, and if you dont see them
DO THE RESEARCH FIRST!!!!!!





 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CR250/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CR250/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [hidden email]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: 2 stroke Fuel Filter

Roger S.-2
Wow  that refreshing.  A lot of pwople think less backpressure in the exhaust SYSTEM  has got to be better for power.  NOT SO As you stated  a racing motorcycle is a fine tuned machine. A dirtbike power system is a finely tuned machine. Most people dont understand that. Thye say things like  That 250  came with a good powerband!  How rediculous!!!  Every engine has a power band. It's knowing how to tune it for the best performance that counts.  great post . I enjoyed it

jestersplitapple <[hidden email]> wrote:          The only reason I even raise the question is because people rarely
understand how one small change affects the entire system. People
often want to view a motorcycle as a number of separate systems
electrical, exhaust, power, fuel, and not as everything working in
symphony. Like a body ie cardio, respitory, digestive, one system
has drastic effects on another. FFor example when you were younger
everyone saw the guy who drilled holes in his exhaust not knowing
that the baffles create a sonic wave that scavanges exhaust and
draws in new fuel, and by sound alone he thinks he did something
great when in reality he has done immense harm. At the track MAYBYE
1 in ten dirtbikes will actually idle on its own why... because the
adjustment screws on the carb ONLY affect the idle circuit so the
guy messes them up and gives the excuse that he has better top end
when he hasnt affected the top end at all. People always spend cash
on exhaust and dont tune thier suspension llosing power cuz they
didnt rejet for the pipe and lose power because they arent getting
it to the ground. The fact is that guys in the 125 and 250 mx
classes have been DETUNING the bikes for over a decade by running
thicker head gaskets. Why???? Increased reliability, and because
the factory is putting out AMAZING machines now and the extra power
is actually a hinderance. Im not going to say I dont have an FMF
setup because I do... but I also understand how it affects the
SYSTEM, and I changed things accordingly. All I know is that I
think a LONG time before changing the things the EXPERTS did. So
next time you wrap a shop towel around the carb throat for an air
filter, if you care about your machine look on the garage wall for
those PHDs in engineering that piston honda and the rest of geeks in
the dungeons of honda hq undoubtedly have, and if you dont see them
DO THE RESEARCH FIRST!!!!!!



         

 
---------------------------------
Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small Business.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2 stroke Fuel Filter

Steve Hackett
In reply to this post by james crawford
How often do you remove your fuel petcock from your tank to clean your strainer?  The reason your inline filter might be clean is because the one in the tank is dirty... Food for thought.  Send me an addy so I can see your 78.  Are is an addy to see mine...
   
  http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yamaonda157@.../album?.dir=d068&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
   
  Steve

james crawford <[hidden email]> wrote:
            I've always run an inline fuel filter on my "78 CR250. It has a metal tank, so I don't want to take any chances. The fuel filter is clear, so I can see if it needs changing. If it were to strain out the oil, the filter would change color - the color of my oil. Never had a problem with "visu filters".
  http://www.powersportsrider.com/CGI-BIN/ZCATJPG?catpub=ST0205C
  Go to - Index - Fuel - Filters - 701C
  Jim - New York
   
 

Tuckerdrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
     
I have a 91 CR250. Is it bad to run my bike with a fuel filter, being a 2
stroke? Wondering if it will block out any oil that is mixed with the gas.
The bike shop I went into about filtering my fuel, said any in line filter
will work and will not restrict flow, or block oil. But I do still have
concerns and would like more opinions on this. TIA
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/2-stroke-Fuel-Filter-tf2336272.html#a6500249
Sent from the Honda CR250 mailing list archive at Nabble.com.






  Jim - New York
   
---------------------------------
  All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.  

         
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2 stroke Fuel Filter

james crawford
I've never removed my petcock to clean the strainer. The screen isn't fine enough to screen out micro-particles. From all my years as a motorcycle mechanic, petcock strainers only strain visible stuff. That's why I use in line fuel filters. I change it every spring.
  Jim

Steve Hackett <[hidden email]> wrote:
            How often do you remove your fuel petcock from your tank to clean your strainer?  The reason your inline filter might be clean is because the one in the tank is dirty... Food for thought.  Send me an addy so I can see your 78.  Are is an addy to see mine...
   
  http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yamaonda157@.../album?.dir=d068&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
   
  Steve

james crawford <[hidden email]> wrote:
        I've always run an inline fuel filter on my "78 CR250. It has a metal tank, so I don't want to take any chances. The fuel filter is clear, so I can see if it needs changing. If it were to strain out the oil, the filter would change color - the color of my oil. Never had a problem with "visu filters".
  http://www.powersportsrider.com/CGI-BIN/ZCATJPG?catpub=ST0205C
  Go to - Index - Fuel - Filters - 701C
  Jim - New York
   
 

Tuckerdrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
     
I have a 91 CR250. Is it bad to run my bike with a fuel filter, being a 2
stroke? Wondering if it will block out any oil that is mixed with the gas.
The bike shop I went into about filtering my fuel, said any in line filter
will work and will not restrict flow, or block oil. But I do still have
concerns and would like more opinions on this. TIA
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/2-stroke-Fuel-Filter-tf2336272.html#a6500249
Sent from the Honda CR250 mailing list archive at Nabble.com.






  Jim - New York
   
---------------------------------
  All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.  




 

         


Jim - New York

 
---------------------------------
 All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
Loading...