Quantcast

Best Year CR250?

Toby Opferman
What year CR250 do you believe is the best year for the Honda CR250?
Some say that the CR250, like the CR500, was toned down in 1988 and
that the 86 and 87 are the best years.  Some say that the 85 is the
best year while it is noted in some articles that it is the worst
year because the power band was hard hitting in the low end and died
after mid range.

What about the older bikes?  The 1976 CR250? The 79 CR250?  The first
water cooled ones are 81-82 are said to not be so great, what do you
think?  What about the new ones, 1990s, 2000s?

Any opinions?  Which ones have you ridden and what qualities do you
use to consider a bike as good?  A smooth powerband? A hard hitting
powerband?  Take suspension into higher consideration?

Given that generally speaking the newer bikes are going to have
better suspension, I would say I would rate the CR250 in Power, Speed
and Reliability (did it stop working if there was a wet leaf on the
gas tank? Did the motor break every minute? BTW, how did you 2nd gear
hold up!).

Re: Best Year CR250?

Dan Greenwood
78-79 Elsinore's hands down,....

Re: Best Year CR250?

rick becker

The first CR is a classic (73/73) and clean up on most everything out there.
79 was a grat year, but 96 was was the best, late 80s were also very good. 97 and newer leave alot to be desired. Hate to admit it but Yamaha and Suzuki are much better bikes after 96.

Re: Best Year CR250?

Adam Reif-2
> What year CR250 do you believe is the best year for the Honda CR250?

As you might imagine, that question has been around the bend many times.

You can use the group's search function too ...

Adam.

Re: Best Year CR250?

Kevin Varner-2
Not that I know from experience, but the PV folks I race with love the 78-79's (of course 73-74 for vintage).  I am restoring a low hour 88 CR250 that seized the rod. I am debating on having the cylinder resleeved or replated.  Any suggestions?
Kevin

The first CR is a classic (73/73) and clean up on most everything out there.
79 was a grat year, but 96 was was the best, late 80s were also very good. 97 and newer leave alot to be desired. Hate to admit it but Yamaha and Suzuki are much better bikes after 96.

Re: Best Year CR250?

rick becker
replate

Not that I know from experience, but the PV folks I race with love the 78-79's (of course 73-74 for vintage).  I am restoring a low hour 88 CR250 that seized the rod. I am debating on having the cylinder resleeved or replated.  Any suggestions?
Kevin

The first CR is a classic (73/73) and clean up on most everything out there.
79 was a grat year, but 96 was was the best, late 80s were also very good. 97 and newer leave alot to be desired. Hate to admit it but Yamaha and Suzuki are much better bikes after 96.

RE: Best Year CR250?

Mitch Maurer
I agree with some others:  In my opinion, '73 and '79.  I find it
interesting you mentioned the '76 in your question.  As much as I love
my '76, it wasn't even close to its competition that year.

Re: Best Year CR250?

Toby Opferman
I used to have a 79 CR250 and I sold it to someone who also had a
1985 CR250 and he swears that the 1985 CR250 is the best year for the
CR250, any opinions on this?

What carb came stock on the 85 CR250, a Mikuni or Kenien?

--- In [hidden email], "Mitch Maurer" <mmaurer@...> wrote:

> I agree with some others:  In my opinion, '73 and '79.  I find it
> interesting you mentioned the '76 in your question.  As much as I
love
> my '76, it wasn't even close to its competition that year.

Behalf Of
> Toby Opferman
> Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:28 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [CR250] Best Year CR250?
>
> What year CR250 do you believe is the best year for the Honda
CR250?
> Some say that the CR250, like the CR500, was toned down in 1988 and
that
> the 86 and 87 are the best years.  Some say that the 85 is the best
year
> while it is noted in some articles that it is the worst year
because the
> power band was hard hitting in the low end and died after mid range.
>
> What about the older bikes?  The 1976 CR250? The 79 CR250?  The
first
> water cooled ones are 81-82 are said to not be so great, what do you
> think?  What about the new ones, 1990s, 2000s?
>
> Any opinions?  Which ones have you ridden and what qualities do you
use
> to consider a bike as good?  A smooth powerband? A hard hitting
> powerband?  Take suspension into higher consideration?
>
> Given that generally speaking the newer bikes are going to have
better
> suspension, I would say I would rate the CR250 in Power, Speed and
> Reliability (did it stop working if there was a wet leaf on the gas
> tank? Did the motor break every minute? BTW, how did you 2nd gear
hold
> up!).

Re: Re: Best Year CR250?

james crawford
I owned both, a '78 & '85 CR250 at the same time. The '85s suspension and power were far superior to the '78
With Pro-Link and water cooling, who could argue with that.
The '78 was the best 250 MX bike out of the top four of that year. The '85 was the worst out of the top four of that year, in my opinion.
The '85 was heavy, clumsy handling, poor low end power, when it eventually hit the power band, the Kaw, Suz and Yams were into the next turn.
Needless to say, I sold the '85 model and still own my 1978 CR250
The only repairs ever made on my '78 CR250 are top end rebuilds (still has the original cylinder) and clutch plates. Everything else is original.
Jim - New York

--- In CR250@yahoogroups. com, "Mitch Maurer" <mmaurer@... > wrote:

> I agree with some others: In my opinion, '73 and '79. I find it
> interesting you mentioned the '76 in your question. As much as I
love
> my '76, it wasn't even close to its competition that year.

Behalf Of
> Toby Opferman
> Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:28 PM
> To: CR250@yahoogroups. com
> Subject: [CR250] Best Year CR250?
>
> What year CR250 do you believe is the best year for the Honda
CR250?
> Some say that the CR250, like the CR500, was toned down in 1988 and
that
> the 86 and 87 are the best years. Some say that the 85 is the best
year
> while it is noted in some articles that it is the worst year
because the
> power band was hard hitting in the low end and died after mid range.
>
> What about the older bikes? The 1976 CR250? The 79 CR250? The
first
> water cooled ones are 81-82 are said to not be so great, what do you
> think? What about the new ones, 1990s, 2000s?
>
> Any opinions? Which ones have you ridden and what qualities do you
use
> to consider a bike as good? A smooth powerband? A hard hitting
> powerband? Take suspension into higher consideration?
>
> Given that generally speaking the newer bikes are going to have
better
> suspension, I would say I would rate the CR250 in Power, Speed and
> Reliability (did it stop working if there was a wet leaf on the gas
> tank? Did the motor break every minute? BTW, how did you 2nd gear
hold
> up!).

Re: Re: Best Year CR250?

rick becker
I think the 87 is much improved bike over the 85. Better shock, much better forks, same motor, disc brakes, no comparision. Remember these are all 20 year old bikes and its all relitive to what else was availbe in the same era. A 93 is a way better bike than a 79, but it should be they had 15 to make improvements. Honda did take a step backwards in 97 and never really made up the difference between the CR and the YZ or RM after that. But the 97 is still a better bike than a 79, just in 79 the Cr won lots of races in 97 not so many.